Monday, September 3, 2012

Radio St. Helena


I have been in touch with the staff down there. They have an Interim
Station Manager as Gary Walters went back home to the United Kingdom.

Radio Saint Helena will be shutting down, according to Ralph. He says "Our
Final Broadcast will be on the 25 December to coincide with our opening on
the 25 December ’67. This will make us 45 years of broadcasting."

The AM signal on 1548Khz with 1KW will be shut off for good. As I
understand it, at some point, a government funded radio station, operating
on FM will launch.

Ralph tells me that the Shortwave broadcasting mast has been dismantled by
Cable & Wireless, but he's talking to local ham operators to see if they
can lash up something for their final broadcast so they can get on
Shortwave. NO promises though.

That being said, if the Shortwave makes it on December 25th at all, it is
likely to last time it will ever make it on air.

My voice was featured on the last Radio Saint Helena shortwave broadcast
and even if they don't make it on SW this time, I will likely have my voice
used on the local MW broadcasts.

I just thought I'd pass the word. Feel free to pass this to other DX lists
and other folks who might be interested.

Paul Walker
Ridgway, Pennsylvania, USA
www.onairdj.com
www.houndcountry.com

via IRCA mailing list
IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca

via Horacio Nigro, Uruguay

No comments:

Post a Comment